Monday, January 28, 2008

La Alhambra. . . oh wow.


Haven't had as much time lately to write so I'm posting pictures instead. The Alhambra was absolutely stunning. Here are some of my favorites. . .


The Grand Hall of the Ambassadors: where the sultan received his foreign visitors. Also where Isabel received Columbus before his voyage.


“only Allah is victorious”

This Arabic symbol, looking like a W with the nose on the left side, can be found over 9,000 times scrawled on the walls of the palace.


Court of the Myrtles. . . it was like a paradise.

“On such heavenly nights I would sit for hours at my window inhaling the sweetness of the garden and musing on the checkered fortunes of those whose history was dimly shadowed out in the elegant memorials around.”

“The Alhambra by Moonlight”

-Washington Irving.


Hall of the Abencerrajes, Where the father of Boabdil legendarily decapitated all of Boabdil’s sons to deny them rights to the throne, stacking their heads in a pile in the center of the room. Touching.


The intricacy of this was breathtaking.


Forget the 30 minute time limit--we decided we'd just stay here forever:)

1 comment:

Vicin Ruiz said...

Hi!!
Welcome to Granada!!
Is good to see you're having a looooot of fun in here :) or that's what it seems.
Ooops sorry if my comment is unexpected or my english is a bit... wrong :P
Hahahaha and you may thing: how have that one arrived to my blog?? Well, I was searching for a blog from my working place, called GranadaHoy, and I wrote "granadajoy.blogspot..." and not "granadahoy.blogspot...". So I was very very surprised when another blog appeared (yours). I'm very glad to see your blog, even having arrived by a little mistake. Hahahaha anyway the blog of GranadaHoy didn't exist...
Really sorry if my english isn't very good, I've lost a bit of practise. Well, if you don't understand anything you can ask me to "try to translate it better"... anyway I said nothing interesting :P
Glad to leave you a comment!!
Have lot of good times!!

Un saludo desde Saturno!! (hello from Saturn!!)